“She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn’t supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.”
I’ve learned a couple of things from being at college so far (none of which have anything to do with biology because the PTSD already took care of that.) Here is my list of what I would consider 15 of the more important items for college that also make life so much easier.
- Water pitcher with a filter. My Brita water pitcher is like a first-born child to me. Dorm water tastes weird, so this helps and also saves a lot of money that would otherwise go to buying water.
- Coffee pot. I have a Keurig which is perfect for me because I only drink one cup of coffee a day. It’s also really easy to add water and a K-cup, hit a button, and brew.
- Sturdy umbrella. I touched on this in another post on here, but umbrellas break easily. Go ahead and get a decent one.
- Rain boots. It’s going to rain on campus (sorry), and no one likes cold, wet feet.
- Tennis shoes. I’m not much of a tennis shoe girl, but I have ended up wearing mine so much more than I expected. They’re so good for long days of classes on opposite sides of campus.
- Surge protector (with extra long cord). In my dorm, you can’t have extension cords, but you can have surge protectors with extra long cords. This is a good way to get your phone charger nearer to you on a lofted bed.
- Hand sanitizer. I keep a little hand sanitizer attached to my wallet or backpack at all times. Need I say more?
- Clorox wipes. AKA the greatest cleaning supplies item ever. These things can clean almost anything in a hurry especially during flu season.
- Extra set of sheets. These are handy when you really don’t feel like washing your sheets but you also really need to wash them too. A different color or pattern can also break up the dorm room monotony.
- Planner. This will help you be able to visualize upcoming assignments and quizzes/exams. (Note- I am NOT usually a planner promoter, but I am slowly being converted into a believer.)
- Water bottle. And I mean a non-throw-away one. I have a gifted Camelbak that I carry around all the time. This also saves money on water like the Brita (which I use to fill my water bottle.)
- Bed shoes. I also wasn’t a bed shoe kind of girl before college, but dorm floors are cold and kind of nasty.
- Rolling hamper. I did NOT want one of these before I started school because I thought it was dorky. I still think it makes me look like a dweeb, but I’m a dweeb that isn’t breaking my back to haul all my junk in.
- Student ID holder. I use my ID for EVERYTHING on campus, so I always need it. I have a wallet that I keep in my backpack with a clear window for IDs as well as an adhesive card sticker on the back of my phone that I got for free from Kroger. This way, I always have my ID.
- Extra phone charger. I hate keeping up with a phone charger, so I keep one in my room and one in my backpack at all times. The one in my backpack rarely gets used, but it’s good for emergencies.
Here’s a little look at what my life consists of through pictures. PS- it’s a lot more weird selfies I send to my mom than I’m willing to admit.
This was to commemorate my first snow day of college. And I totally binge-watched Netflix like college students are supposed to do. Priorities. Am I right?!
I call this one “selfie-to-Mom-to-express-my-unhappiness-toward-walking-across-campus-during-a-torrential-downpour-while-trying-to-be-inconspicious-about-taking-a-selfie-so-it’s-blurry/unflattering.” Also, I ended up breaking this umbrella with a water bottle…
A picture of the bell tower on campus. I only took this shot for a project in multimedia design. I have no emotional connection to this tower whatsoever, but it played a bell version of an Elvis song one time!
Sunset from my dorm room. [Heart eyes emoji.]
I leave you with this… DOUGHNUT FRENCH TOAST! If you’ve never had it, today is the day. Go.
This post is my way of saying I’m too busy at the moment to actually write a thoughtful post, but I still want to keep this blog going. Thanks for reading!
Seriously, go try this kind of french toast, guys!